Cross-border trade promotion and investment for countries within Greater-Mekong Sub-region (GMS), including Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam (CCLMTV), are vital to the economic development. GMS countries have been using economic corridors to promote economic growth and development. With regards to the Southern Economic Corridor (SEC), the connectivity of four countries, namely Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam (CMTV) provides competitive advantage in the cross-border trade and investment. Such situation is seen as an opportunity to learn and collaborate for business networking to explore market opportunities. In realization of the significance of trade promotion through the development of trade events, Mekong Institute (MI) organized one-week Regional Training program on “Trade Events Promotion” on June 12-16, 2017 at MI Residential Training Center, Khon Kaen, Thailand. One of the main objectives of the training was to strengthen skills in planning and conducting effective trade events and monitoring the success of the event in order to promote cross-border trade and investment in the SEC. Training participants from the CMTV were provided practical inputs to implement joint cross-border trade event to reinforce collaboration between the cross-national Trade Promotion Organizations (TPOs) in promoting business networking for SMEs in order to 1) eventually increase the cross-border trade and 2) apply knowledge gained from the training program in the field level.
A group of participants from Cambodia that consists of 4 provinces (Koh Kong, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pursat provinces), work in partnership with a group of participants from Thailand that consists of 3 provinces (Chanthaburi, Sa-Kaeo and Trat provinces), to implement joint action plan on cross-border trade event, namely THAILAND-CAMBODIA Buyer-Seller Meet 2017.
The business matching event aims at offering TPOs from 7 provinces of Cambodia and Thailand the opportunities to apply knowledge they have gained from the training with MI into field level, to reinforce collaboration and promoting business networking for SMEs in order to eventually increase the cross-border trade.
Key objectives of the THAILAND-CAMBODIA Buyer-Seller Meet 2017 are to:
- promote cross border trade and business activities;
- explore networking opportunity for local SMEs to expand their business across borders.
3. Expected Results
- build at least 10% of business network and engagement through Buyer and Seller’ face toface meeting;
- boost the potential products and its brand visibility, to gain wider recognition;
- explore and identify new business opportunities;
- explore and identify more business partners.
4. Event Structure
THAILAND-CAMBODIA Buyer-Seller Meet 2017 will be a full-day event and will be implemented
on October 7, 2017 at Khemara Battambang 1 Hotel in Cambodia’s Battambang province (Building #116 Street 515, Chhrey Korng Village, Slaket Commune, Battambang City, Battambang Province).
Key features of the program are:
- Remarkable note from the governors of participating provinces in relation to cross-border trade promotion;
- Presentation of the key information of the potential products to investors by respective businessmen from Cambodia and Thailand;
- Business matching activities to access to more partners as the entry point for new trading opportunities.
5. Estimated Budget
- Estimated expenditure is 4,878 USD, covering event venue, transportation and accommodation allowance for organizers and participants, human resource, promotion and communication cost;
- Estimate revenue is 5,700 USD from admission fee, sponsors and contribution from MI and other TPOs.
6. Target Participants
Around 20 buyers and 20 sellers from Cambodia and Thailand will participate in the THAILANDCAMBODIA Buyer-Seller Meet 2017. Sellers will be local SMEs who are the producers, distributers, wholesalers and retailers of relevant products and service sectors such as OTOP, agribusiness, handicraft product, tourism, and education services.
- Local SME from 3 Thai provinces (Chanthaburi, Sa-Kaeo and Trat provinces) and from 4 Cambodian provinces (Koh Kong, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pursat provinces) who are the producers, distributers, wholesalers and retailers;
- Private companies / enterprises who are the subsidizers, distributers and wholesalers. Buyers:
- Private companies / enterprises
- Local businessmen
- Government officers
- Provincial Government Offices of 3 provinces (Chanthaburi, Sa-Kaeo and Trat provinces);
- Chamber of Commerce 3 Provinces (Chanthaburi, Sa-Kaeo and Trat provinces).
- Provincial Department of Commerce of 4 provinces (Koh Kong, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pursat provinces);
- Provincial Chamber of Commerce of 4 provinces (Koh Kong, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pursat provinces);
- Provincial Department of Industry and Handicraft of 4 provinces (Koh Kong, Battambang, Banteay Meanchey and Pursat provinces).
For details, please contact:
Sa-Kaeo Chamber of Commerce.
Tel: +66 639583883
Department of Commerce of Koh Kong
Tel:+855 12976767/+855 15208743