Mekong Institute (MI) has been implementing two-year project on “Enhancing Competitiveness of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises along the Southern Economic Corridor (SEC) of the ASEAN Mekong Subregion” since February 2016 with the support of Government of Japan through Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF). Under this project intervention framework, MI developed the SEC Business Database web portal. The SEC business database includes relevant information not only as a business database but also as a dynamic Business-to-Business (B2B) e-platform to promote SMEs led economic development along the SEC. The database is served as an essential source of information for SME exporters and related stakeholders to network and share useful information in organizing trade and investment related activities along the SEC and even the Mekong Sub-region.
The objectives of the SEC Business Database and B2B platform are to
- provide a business networking platform for SMEs in 19 provinces along the SEC to access regional and global markets and enhance trade and investment in the corridor and beyond;
- make development of local products and services more responsive to the needs of the regional markets through diversified mainstream businesses and networking;
- provide and enhance business outreach to enterprises and investors through an effective information sharing mechanism with the latest trade and investment updates and technical support; and
- improve diversification and the cross-fertilization of ideas and initiatives through an increase in member and non-member registration in the Forum.
The benefits of database to SEC provinces and its business members are to
- establish the image of the province and increase its visibility in regional and global market;
- promote trade and investment of the province;
- provide key business information to importers, buyers and technology suppliers; and
- identify business partners in SEC and beyond.